Re: [OM] OT: Telephone Snooping

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Telephone Snooping
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2015 14:48:27 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>I consulted with our voice-switch engineers and discussed this.

     Ah, finally!  Some technical expertise.

>We came to two possible conclusions:
>
>1. You are needing mental care,

     Not likely.  The number of instances of this, taking place at every hour
of the day, points to the unmistakable conclusion that somehow these
telemarketers have become very sophisticated technically and have succeeded in
using some form of technology to listen in on a telephone set somehow when it
is on the hook.

>2. The phone switch itself has been hacked.

     A distinct possibility.  So, how would they be able to do that, and would
they be accessing the handset or the ringer?

>If the first one, there is nothing we can do about that.

     My last girlfriend's psychatrist tried to, and that was the end of the
girlfriend.

>If it's the second one, we're all screwed. If it's the second one, somebody is
>doing something seriously illegal.

     How can it be determined if the switch has been hacked?  Given all of the
high-tech high-jinks that have been going on with personal information being
compromised all the way to the federal goverenment, this would be a distinct
possibility.  I'm on a 19CL landline.  There must be a loop-back or some other
test that can be performed to determine if the system has been hacked.

>Or there is a third conclusion. You have a neighbor who is having a
>field day with you.

     Not likely.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson