[OM] Adobe and Google Partner to Bolster Flash's Defence Against Zero-Da

Subject: [OM] Adobe and Google Partner to Bolster Flash's Defence Against Zero-Day Attacks
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2015 08:12:04 -0400
Some more detail about recent Adobe Flash bug fixes (and defenses). This link explains generally what was done between Adobe and Google recently to fix as well as beef up Flash player self-defense. One thing that becomes apparent is that some of these defenses are based on 64-bit memory address manipulation to help hide where objects are located in Flash's memory heap. Chrome and Internet Explorer are 64-bit but Firefox is still 32-bit. It can use some but not all of the newly developed defenses. Mozilla released a 64-bit developer's edition of Firefox last March but there is no public release date yet. Part of the problem is that many Firefox plug-ins are still 32-bit.

<http://gadgets.ndtv.com/internet/news/adobe-and-google-partner-to-bolster-flashs-defence-against-zero-day-attacks-717479>

I can't evaluate the full significance of this but if you want the ultimate in Flash defenses against malware you should probably be running Chrome or maybe Internet Explorer. It's not clear to me whether Adobe has actually implemented the 64-bit tricks in the IE version of Flash. But it is clear that it has been done in the latest version of Chrome.

If you're a programmer you might like to read the nitty-gritty detail from Adobe <http://googleprojectzero.blogspot.in/2015/07/significant-flash-exploit-mitigations_16.html>

Chuck Norcutt