Re: [OM] A reason to like LR (eek!)

Subject: Re: [OM] A reason to like LR (eek!)
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2015 14:22:54 -0700
On 7/12/2015 1:34 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
$150? For a viewer?
I believe that the biggest bang for the buck in photo asset-management
right now isn't Lightroom or Fastone,

FastStone isn't photo asset management. No catalog.

but Google Picasa. Once in a while "free" actually is very good.

I do use Picasa on occasion. However, I had it lose it's catalog once, which left me less than impressed for primary asset management.

I'm not wild about its UI. Slower than LR in rendering individual images. Easier to control what it includes, though. Really off color on Panny RW2 Raw files.

And it is pretty flaky in its map functions -weird for the Master of Maps. I just now typed a couple of locations into its Search, and nothing whatsoever happened. Close the Places window, reopen it, and it works.

Unlike LR, simply going to a place on the map doesn't show what images are located there. Select an image or group and it shows where they are, but not the very useful reverse.

Seems to me to be a good idea not finished enough for prime time. With some refinement, it could be quite good. I've not seen am update in ages. I wonder if Google has stopped development? Copyright on the About pop-up says 2003-2013.

Mixed Reviews Moose
(or is it)
Dead Horse Moose