Re: [OM] Revolutionary Olympus Air Turns Smart Phone Into Interchangeabl

Subject: Re: [OM] Revolutionary Olympus Air Turns Smart Phone Into Interchangeable-Lens Camera
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2015 12:56:09 -0700
On 6/30/2015 11:07 AM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
Another thing I don't need

Yeah, I just got a email from Oly offering pre-ordering. It shows more detail, appears more accurate and answers some questions that immediately came to mind. <http://www.getolympus.com/digitalcameras/olympus-air/air-a01.html> The DPR article is also much more informative than the Adorama one. <http://www.dpreview.com/articles/2450145967/olympus-brings-its-air-lens-style-connected-camera-to-us>

For example, that micro SDXC card would be useful, no Raw without it, and you
can see how it's powered.

An interesting idea, not original in concept, but apparently so in
implementation. The open UI may prove useful.

I'm forever looking for that perfect pocket camera, you know, the one what will do everything the big one does, and just as well. I know you don't always have a camera with you, but I generally try. :-)

Other pluses and minuses aside, there a couple of big ones that concern me.

I have both Oly and Panny cameras that may be operated remotely from smart devices. They can be very useful, as when I took a series of longer exposures on a tripod recently. Rather than hunching over the camera/LCD waiting for the changing light, I could sit comfortably, watching the light change on the larger iPad Mini screen and shoot instantly.

The Panny app is slicker than Oly, although it looks like Oly has upped the UI
for this camera.

But the issue for me is pairing speed and reliability. The Oly app looks smart at first, showing a code patch that the phone/etc. reads to pass connection info. But then making the actual connection is often difficult on my iPhone 5s and iPad Mini2. then it drops on occasion. DPR says the combo of BlueTooth and WiFi should be slick ...

A casual camera needs to be ready as fast as I can pick it up. Current Olys
with the current app don't qualify.

The second question is IS. No IBIS, which obviously makes it more useful with Panny IS lenses - sort of a silly situation. But it could work for me, as I have the Panny 12-32 and 45-150 IS lenses.

And BTW, no dust shaker.

Pretty Toys Moose