Re: [OM] IMG: celestial show

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: celestial show
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2015 23:36:18 -0700
On 6/22/2015 4:41 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
I understand clipped is clipped but I had expected Venus to be clipped over a larger diameter. But after your comment I decided to go lookup the angular diameters of each. Jupiter ranges from (rounded) 30-49' and Venus from 10-63'. While Jupiter never gets as large in the sky as Venus at maximum it's quite possible for them to appear as nearly the same size. I have no idea what sizes are appearing right now but suspect that they can't be too far apart in apparent size.

Is there such a thing as digital halation?

There used to be. When the 'bucket' of a single sensor filled up, extra electrons 'spilled' over and affected neighbors. (My physics is probably wrong, but the effect was real.)

As I recall, Canon first found an on chip solution, which led some folks to accuse them of pre Raw processing. All rather hazy now. I suspect that all contemporary better camera sensors have a way to avoid the problem.

Overflowingly Electric Moose