Re: [OM] One Big Ass Mistake America

Subject: Re: [OM] One Big Ass Mistake America
From: Charles Geilfuss <charles.geilfuss@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2015 17:05:58 -0400
  Well this has been an interesting read but as it is far off topic and
incendiary at best, I am going to grab Thomas' List Mum Hat and call an
official end to this thread after I put in my $.02 worth. Then we can
return to less controversial topics like pick up trucks, computer OS and
BBQ:

      As a true Moderate, one of the few remaining of what appears to be a
dying breed, I continue to be saddened by the further political
polarization of this country on both the right and left. And since each
reacts to the other it will only get worse. All civility has disappeared in
much of social intercourse and particularly in political discussion.
Hyperbole is the order of the day.
    As some of you know Charleston, SC is my home town and I still live
here. I have never been prouder of this city in how we have reacted to the
horrific events of last Wednesday night. The outpouring of community
support gives some feeling of hope after such a horrible act by a deranged
individual.
   Regarding the Confederate Flag flap (no pun intended), it will have to
be dealt with for as a symbol it has been completely hijacked by all manner
of peoples ranging from simple ignorant a**holes to the truly vicious. In
this I agree with Bob. Now I am a descendent of a Confederate veteran. My
Great, great Grandfather served with the German Artillery that mustered out
of Charleston. He had a small bakery and I would love to know what
motivated him to serve. To my knowledge he owned no slaves but did employ
Free Persons of Color in his shop. I have admired him from afar but only
for surviving the conflict, otherwise I wouldn't be writing this post. That
having been said, the Battle flag should be removed from the Statehouse
grounds, in fact the entire Confederate Memorial should be relocated
elsewhere in Columbia and no flags should fly.
     I do disagree with Bob on two points; and don't go looking for them
here, he made them on Facebook. The individual who committed these acts IS
mentally ill. Anyone with that degree of hate, particularly at such a young
age, and to act with such unprovoked violence clearly falls in to some
antisocial personality disorder. Who knows where it began. Some minor
perceived slight as a child or adolescence nurtured by the sewer pipes of
the Internet. And to act alone apparently. Secondly, it is about guns too.
We are awash in them and the rest of the world looks in and shakes their
head in wonder. Personally I think the Second Amendment is obsolete, the
need seen by the Framers no longer exists. But I see no hope of ever
reversing its effect.

Time to go home,
Charlie