Re: [OM] Anatomy of a Wreck.

Subject: Re: [OM] Anatomy of a Wreck.
From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2015 10:13:04 -0700
G'Mornin' Chuck!

I'd not used the "motor drive" on my E-M1 either (other than to test it, when
the camera was new) until firmware v3.0 came along, with it's improvements in
C-AF.

It could still stand some further improvement and is certainly not going to put
the top-tier CaNikons out of business.  But, the E-M1 is now quite useable for
action.

Using it at high-speeds does eat away the useable life of the shutter, and
results in a horrific number of throw-away shots.  But, when you get the right
sequence, it works like no single shot can.

Oh, btw, I'd wondered in my original post what $2,500 for an 8 second ride
worked out to, by the hour.  I did the math... it's $1,125,000 per hour ... not
a bad wage, if you can manage it!

Thanks for looking and your kind words.

David.

> Wow!  What a series!  I've never tried the "motor drive" on my E-M1...
> but I don't have any exciting stuff like that to shoot either.  :-)
>
> Chuck Norcutt
>

> On 6/12/2015 10:30 AM, David Young wrote:
>> A little background....
>>
>> At the end of the Bull Riding "Invitational", a couple of weekends ago,  the
>> winner was given the option of riding a previously un-ridden  bull. He'd win
>> a $2,500 bonus, if he could stay on for the 8 seconds.  (Not sure what that
>> works out to, by the hour...)
>>
>> The winner passed on the opportunity, as he was too bruised up, so the #2
>> cowboy took the "honour".
>>
>> The sun was low, the light bad.  The shots have some motion blur due to the
>> speed of the action and a 1/500th shutter, despite being wide open at ISO
>> 800.
>>
>> The bull bucked  the rider off; turned and knocked the rider down, as he was
>> starting to get up. Then the bull stood on him.
>>
>> The shot is here:
>>
>> http://www.furnfeather.net/Look/Wreck.html
>>
>> The Cowboy was attended to, by the medics, for some 20 minutes before they
>> took him out of the arena on a stretcher.  They announcer said he was OK,
>> but in Cowboy speak, that only means he was still breathing when they put
>> him in the ambulance. Word on the street is that he had both legs broken.
>>
>> For those strong of stomach, I have the 11 shots leading up to this one, on
>> a single page.  As you look, remember that the total time, from start to
>> finish is 1 and 1/3 seconds (12 shots @ 9fps.)
>>
>> That series is here:
>>
>> http://www.furnfeather.net/Look/Anatomy.html
>>
>> Shot with the E-M1 and 50~200 SWD.