[OM] Just anounced A7R ii ,New variant. Impressive technology

Subject: [OM] Just anounced A7R ii ,New variant. Impressive technology
From: Hughes <timhughes@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2015 17:32:57 +0000 (UTC)
We will have to see how it tests, but being an engineer,I find the new
technology, introduced sounds pretty interesting.
At a very quick skim of advertising hype, they seem to have made a FF sensor
using their backilluminated "stacked" sensor technology ,first introduced in
small sensors (where it makes a bigger difference).  PLUS they are stacking
memory chips onto the back of sensor , so there is some direct faster parallel
memory path to DRAM. They also have a completely electrical shutter mode you
can select, for stealthier shooting.

Sony a7R II has 42.4MP on 4K-capable full-frame BSI CMOS sensor
There are also a couple of intermediate size cameras with similar sensors, at
lower price points.
>>Sony has announced the a7R II, a 42.4MP mirrorless camera with an image
>>stabilized full-frame BSI CMOS sensor. Unlike its predecessor, the camera
>>includes on-sensor phase detection elements for faster autofocus, which
>>continues to work with other brands' lenses. The camera also has a revised
>>shutter mechanism, rated to 500,000 actuations but also promising less
>>vibration than the one on its predecessor. The sensor is by far the largest
>>backside illuminated CMOS chip to be released, allowing the maximum expanded
>>ISO to rise two stops to 102,400. The camera will cost around $3,200.The a7R
>>II also gains 5-axis image stabilization that is rated at 4.5 stops,
>>according to CIPA standard.The camera can capture 4K (UHD) video at 30p/25p
>>or 24p in the XAVC S 4K format. The 4K video can be taken either from the
>>full sensor width or from a Super 35 crop. Even this smaller crop
>>over-samples by around 1.4x.
With Amount lenses:
Sony says the on-sensor phase-detection AF can be used with A-mount lenses
using the simpler LA-E3 adapter, rather than the LA-E4 that had an SLT
mechanism built in. At the press launch in New York we even got a glimpse of
the a7R II autofocusing Canon EF lenses using a Metabones electronic adapter.
Focus appeared to be on par with OVF focus on a native Canon body, and the AF
experience itself didn't appear to be limited simply because you're using a
third party lens (full coverage and tracking are available).On-sensor phase
detection elements cover 45% of the sensor, which may sound small but actually
translates to around 67% coverage in each direction. While this is some way
behind level of coverage offered on Samsung's NX1 (or even Sony's APS-C
cameras), it's still a considerably larger area than that covered by any full
frame DSLR's focus sensor.It also gains an electronic first curtain shutter
option to eliminate shutter vibration, which was a problem with the original
a7R at longer focal lengths. It also offers a fully electronic silent
shutter.<<<
Tim Hughes