Re: [OM] Scottish Bluebells

Subject: Re: [OM] Scottish Bluebells
From: Mike Lazzari <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 07 Jun 2015 11:31:58 -0700
I'm under the impression that all Scottish forest is fairly recent, and a great
deal of it farmed, as all the original forests were logged long ago?
My impression was that commercial forestry is making a big comeback in Scotland. It seems that in UK (and Europe) the norm is large private estates left over from hereditary nobility as opposed to the public ownership in the US. Economic demands to generate cash is driving "new" forestry. Unfortunately I saw a lot of evidence of the most egregious forest practices. e.g. Glen Etive and Applecross. Apparently the owners do as they wish and lack the knowledge and/or incentives to do it properly.

The scenery in Scotland is stunning but barely hidden below the surface is a scared and abused landscape.

Mike