Re: [OM] What to Pack

Subject: Re: [OM] What to Pack
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2015 18:17:57 -0700
On 5/27/2015 9:54 PM, ChrisB wrote:
I must confess, John, that something similar went through my mind.  Why are
there two 35s and two 50s, for instance?

Regular light, existing darkness. And backups.

And I’d love to know if the Monochrom is any better than another Leica digital
with a choice of colour and monochrome.

Yes - and no. the use of Bayer filter arrays and demosaicing for color creates various problems with moire, color aliasing, subtle loss of detail. The common use of AA (anti-aliasing) filters to combat moire reduces detail and micro-contrast. Very real problems for pixel peepers and those who crop a lot or print very large. The latest super rez Nikon does without the AA filter that would negate a lot of the sensor resolution - and suffers what I would call horrendous moire on fine, repeating detail.

For web images, 8x10 prints, etc., all pretty much non-issues

All of these things are already in the color image. Conversion to B&W carries them with it. Eliminating the color filter array and AA filter for B&W avoids all this stuff.

Some folks claim that the tonal graduation is smoother, subtler than on the color cameras. From what I've seen in Tina's web images, that seems to be true for some subjects. I recall raving about that in a shot in a diner. Whether it's all a result of eliminating the above stuff, or something magic beyond, I don't know.

I do know superb B&W conversion from good quality color is often possible.

Bill and Woo Moose