Re: [OM] Paul's PAW - First Bloom

Subject: Re: [OM] Paul's PAW - First Bloom
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2015 21:59:07 -0700
PB writes:

<<Next time one blooms, I'll work on it. I was handholding while kneeling
<<down and leaning over the pond a bit. I can't remember if this was during a
<<period of calm or not. Another option might be to back away some and use a
<<lens longer than 50mm.

Yes, very nice color and composition--worth the effort. Perhaps it was really
blowing out-exif shows 1/500th and FL 12mm--should
have been sufficient speed for any modest subject or cam motion. Can't tell
much at work as can only get the link on my phone,
but perhaps just focus is a bit off.

Seems more like this than subject movement, to me. It's very easy when squatting down and leaning in to move slightly between focus and shot. You needn't ask why I know this. ;-)

Longer lens of course will give you better working distance but requires faster
SS even for macro-
geometry dictgates it is not just mag--- Last I tried to determine the minimum
hand holding speed macro is (full frame) 1/ [FL* (1+M) **2]
So at 1:1 the SS need to be about 4 times faster--

All very well, but largely irrelevant to those of us using IS lenses or bodies. And IS is a moving target. E-PM2 clearly isn't as good at macro Mags as E-M5. E-M5 II is better at long tele than E-M5. And I'll bet also at macro, as that's where Oly touts improvement.

but FL still matters!  Not everyone here bought this, but geometry is geometry
and lenses , lenses.

Sure - but - different IS systems do best at different FLs, or may level the difference between FLs. It's possible for IS to trump geometry. I have shots of flowers where the same flower, shot at 43 mm and 1/320 in 12-50 macro mode is indistinguishable in this regard from 252 mm (500 mm FF eq!) at 1/125. Neither has any visible motion blur.

Stand back but  keep speed up, Mike

Or I. S. Moose