Re: [OM] [Leica] IMGS: Baracoa, + Banding?

Subject: Re: [OM] [Leica] IMGS: Baracoa, + Banding?
From: Tina Manley <tmanley@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2015 21:13:33 -0400
Hi, Paul

I never, ever set up any photos. Never have and never will. What I do is
hang around long enough that I become part of the background and am
ignored. If you talk to the subject before the photo is made, the photo
will be posed. For the old guy in the park, I sat in one place, not moving,
for about three hours. At first, people mugged and posed for the camera but
I was very boring so they eventually forgot about me and my cameras. I have
several hundred photos of that guy because he reminded me of my father.
For the people standing in line, I stood across the street and waited until
nobody saw me.

The Central American photos are made after I have spent several days
sitting quietly in a corner.

Thanks,

Tina

On Monday, May 11, 2015, Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sun, May 10, 2015 at 8:26 PM, Tina Manley <tmanley@xxxxxxxxx
> <javascript:;>> wrote:
>
> > PESO:
> >
> > PESO:
> >
> > I've finished another page from Baracoa, including several from the MM
> > about which I have a question:
> >
> > http://www.pbase.com/tinamanley/cuba&page=32
> >
> > This particular photo was very dark.  The ISO is only 320 but there is
> > severe banding in the shadows.  Why?  It's there in the original dng
> > without any manipulation.  If the ISO is 320, just like most of the other
> > B&W's in low light, why is there so much banding in this one?
> >
> > http://www.pbase.com/tinamanley/image/160019998
> >

> I don't see any banding here, either.
>
> I've always wondered - when you get the candid shots of people just living
> their lives, do you just surreptitiously take the photo, or do you talk to
> them first? I know that some of the photos of people you were visiting, or
> the ones on the mission trips, were more or less set up (don't mean that in
> a bad way), but like the one with the old man taking a swig from the bottle
> or "Standing In Line".
>
> --
>
> Paul Braun WD9GCO
> Certified Music Junkie
>
> "Music washes from the soul the dust of everyday life." -- Berthold
> Auerbach
> --

Tina Manley
www.tinamanley.com