Re: [OM] CC updates etc

Subject: Re: [OM] CC updates etc
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2015 13:05:21 -0700
On 4/24/2015 11:35 AM, Ken Norton wrote:
Moose thus protetheth:

Protest seems too strong. How about suggests a valid alternative view?

I don't have an Eye-Fi card, for the simple reason that my five primary cameras
all have WiFi built-in. Eye-Fi is SO yesterday. ;-)
But do you have the WiFi even turned on? Doh!

When I want it for remote control, yes. Have you thought this question through? Why would I want it on, using up the battery, when I'm not using it?

1. Cell coverage.
Oh, yes, I forgot. We have better cell coverage in the wilds of Iowa than
you do in California. (actually, this is true). However, placement of
towers way up in the mountains is still a bit sparse everywhere--even the
great mountain ranges here in Iowa.

Not just Calif. ME, MA, OR, ID, WA, NV, MT - well, perhaps you get the picture. We travel,and are indeed very often in the places with few people and no cell coverage. For whatever reasons, the places we like to spend time tend not to have cell coverage, let alone WiFi.

2. JPEGs
JPEGs have their place. I shoot RAW+JPEG if I'm doing a turn-and-burn.

You BBQ them??? Good way to lose weight, what with the zero calories.

JPEGs are usually just peachy. RAW files for the stuff that gets turned
into art.

You know perfectly well that mine are virtually all Art, or at least intended to be usable as such, should I luck out. :-) I don't do portrait/event/whatever; I have no photographic clients but myself.

3. Using LR
     I have never liked LR. I have it up to date 'cause it comes with the
$10/mo. and I am thinking of using its cataloging functions. The mobile
version seems OK, I guess.
I've been a huge fan of LR from the very beginning, but didn't care for how
ACR addressed Olympus files. That has changed and along with the tremendous
speed boost since Verson 3, it's highly usable and flexible.

But a piece of crap for actually editing anything - - - to me. Just taste, but
mine.

4. A desire to edit images I've just shot on a portable device.
     I've done some fun things to images with the (too) many photo apps on my
phone and tablet. I've yet to be interested in doing so immediately to images
I've just taken with some camera other than the iThingies themselves.
It has its place. I like options.

Sure. Got 'em, hardly ever am moved to use 'em. Remember, this little exercise started with the assumption that Moose didn't have any of this stuff, not that he had it, tried it and chose not to use most of it, most of the time. I have about three dozen photo apps on my iPad, and have tried most of them. ;-) No one, or even two seems to do what I want. The actual tool sets seem to be limited, often to just a bunch of 'look' presets. LRm, for example, has no clone or fill tools, that I can find.

5. Some sort of hurry to have the images I've just shot, hours to weeks away
from home, available at home.

Only real application for me, right now, is for client delivery, or facebeek
postings.

The client already has them. I do not so far have any interest in FB.

I've got the hardware and software, but not the need or interest. We lead very
different everyday photographic lives. :-)

Obviously. But that's OK. I choose to maximize what I have, you choose to
buy the latest/greatest.

I would argue that what I do may also be characterized as "maximize what I
have". Ain't language fun? :-)

End result is that we both have, on occasion, been known to make an image.

Huh? When? What with all this jabbering. Actually, I'm putting together another
book of images at the moment.

Yawnnnn Moose
You've been staying up too late, Moose.

Nope, just bored with others trying to sell me on their version of Nirvana. At least the door to door proselytizers seem to have diminished.

The digital cameras you use and LR could be enough to make me switch to needlepoint. :-) I'm glad you are enjoying them and doing good work with them. I like Brussels Sprouts, go figure ...

Little Cabbage Moose