Re: [OM] IMGS: Bees

Subject: Re: [OM] IMGS: Bees
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2015 11:36:44 -0500
When I was a kid growing up on the farm, we had two hives. I even took
beekeeping one year for 4-H. I was the only one who did. So, I kept all my
records, took a beautiful piece of honeycomb to the county fair at the end
of the year....

And got a 2nd place ribbon because the judges said, "We don't have anything
to compare his project to."  Sigh. These were the same judges who clearly
played favorites with their own children (parents should NOT be judges,
especially in the categories their own children are entered). I
electricity, I made a lamp from an old ceramic liquor jug. Followed all of
the safety guidelines, used all of the proper equipment. Was a very
attractive lamp.

The kid who won and went to state, who just coincidentally was the son of
the head judge, made a lamp out of a stack of clear glass ashtrays. Plain
threaded tube up through the middle, visible through the glass. No safety
bushings on either end, so the lamp cord was rubbing against raw cut glass
and raw cut metal. Socket and harp were very unstable.

I think that was when I started to not care if I won any prizes or not.

On Sun, Apr 19, 2015 at 4:18 PM, Tina Manley <tmanley@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> PESO:
>
> This is what we have been doing this week-end:
>
> http://www.pbase.com/tinamanley/2015&page=2
>
> They all (24,000) seem healthy and happy.  We should have honey in a year
> or so!
>
> Tina
> --

Paul Braun WD9GCO