Re: [OM] IMG: French Connection

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: French Connection
From: "Bill Pearce" <billcpearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2015 19:55:10 -0500
It was and may still be common on Cessnas and Beech planes.

-----Original Message----- From: Jim Nichols
Sent: Sunday, April 19, 2015 4:28 PM
To: Olympus Camera Discussion

Hi Chris,

Thanks for looking and for your comments.  I think your assumption is
correct.  The ribs provide stiffness in a lightweight structure, and, as
long as the ribs are parallel to the local airflow, the impact on drag
is minimal.

Both the Beech Bonanza and the Piper Cherokee use similar structural
elements.  Piper did learn, with the early Cherokees, that
outward-facing ribs were subject to cracking.  They eventually reversed
the ribs, forming dimples in the metal, and eliminated the problems.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA