Re: [OM] Boot failure advice?

Subject: Re: [OM] Boot failure advice?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2015 15:12:42 -0400
Or failed many times. I still have to report failure after getting a chance to work on the machine yesterday afternoon. My memory must be failing me since, although I had been in the BIOS before I have to report that it does not look anything like what I was describing earlier. The boot configuration options "Fast Boot" and "Launch CSM" which I was reporting by reading the user's manual do not actually exist on this machine. After looking at the manual more closely I realize it has to be for some newer sub-model which supports Win 8.1 and USB 3.0. The machine has only USB 2.0 and Win7.

Anyhow I tried booting while holding the ESC key down and the boot manager page came up and showed the USB drive as a boot candidate. I probably set that up a month ago and forgot about it. But doing that doesn't get me beyond the same old boot error.

The machine also has BIOS boot configuration options to enable or disable network, USB and other devices as boot options. But all are enabled.

I know the MBR should be there but maybe that is the problem. Next time I get a chance I'll bring the drive home and write a boot record on it using my other utilities.

Chuck Norcutt