Re: [OM] Downtown Oakland Iowa

Subject: Re: [OM] Downtown Oakland Iowa
From: "Wayne Harridge" <wayne.harridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2015 23:16:33 +1100
Excellent series of shots Ken.

...Wayne

-----Original Message-----
From: olympus
[mailto:olympus-bounces+wayne.harridge=structuregraphs.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
] On Behalf Of Ken Norton
Sent: Sunday, 29 March 2015 3:32 PM
To: Olympus Camera Discussion
Subject: [OM] Downtown Oakland Iowa

It was a decent road-trip day. The daughters were involved in music
competitions in two different cities. We started out in Atlantic, Iowa for
the solo competitions, and then in Bellevue (Omaha), Nebraska for the
Drumline competition. One the way from one to the other, we passed through
Oakland, Iowa.

I took a few minutes to walk this OLD downtown area and get some
photographs. Everything was shot handheld with the Olympus E-3 and
14-42 zoom. Downtown Oakland is one of those unusual survivors of time. Not
only was it not decimated by fire or tornado, but it never really saw any
significant "modernization" through the years. It's not that Oakland is a
dead down--far from it, but it has moved onward along the highway where the
above average household income of the residents get to spend their money.
Oakland is within the commute circle for Omaha and Counsel Bluffs, so it has
transformed into a form of bedroom community. Yet, the old downtown still
survives.

A multi-frame panoramic image showing the main two streets:

The Rusk Building and Sky:

Bent Light Over Door of the Risk Building:

Oakland Medical Center:

Oakland Savings Bank:

Photographer in the Window:

Final Flight: