Re: [OM] Protest against circumcision.

Subject: Re: [OM] Protest against circumcision.
From: Charles Geilfuss <charles.geilfuss@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2015 11:22:16 -0400
  Well these guys are a bit over the top, but I agree with their position
on male circumcision. I was faced with this decision when my wife and I
adopted our son. He was eleven months old and was uncircumcised. I was very
reluctant to have it done to him at almost one year of age. Allegedly there
is little pain when done on a neonate (yes, they scream bloody murder when
it is done, but then they scream bloody murder when you change their
diaper, so I don't know what that means), but at a years age their sensory
system is fully functional. The medical benefits in a first world country
are minimal at best. It reduces the incidence of penile carcinoma from rare
to very rare and supposedly reduces the risk of acquiring HIV. This is
accomplished by reducing the rate of other sexually transmitted disease
that break down the mucosal barrier to viruses. Also, circumcision results
in the toughening of the skin of the glans penis due to friction with
clothing. These benefits were pretty minimal and to my mind were not worth
it.
   The downside to circumcision: any surgical procedure has a small risk;
supposedly there is a loss of sensitivity during sexual intercourse, but
this is speculative, I don't know any way to measure that objectively.
Some consider it mutilation, but that is a bit extreme. It is more of a
modification.
  On balance I didn't think the benefits were worth it.

Charlie