Re: [OM] Got a New Toy

Subject: Re: [OM] Got a New Toy
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2015 15:28:45 -0500
On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 10:02 AM, Willie Wonka via olympus <
olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It is actually an old toy and a not-so-nice story or two to go along with
> it.
> First the pron for the peeps who dont want to hear the story:

Years and years ago, way before I had any hope of affording anything really
nice, I would torture myself by going to high-end stereo shops and dream of
a set of Apogees driven by matching Krell monoblocks. Quite possibly the
most stunning home speakers I have ever heard. I would listen to Telarc
classical CD's and Mobile Fidelity pop/rock cd's through a pair of Stax
headphones. It was heaven, but also frustrating as hell. Even then, my
tastes ran miles above my budget.

Several years back, when I was still working at my late friend's surplus
shop, someone brought in a pile of old stereo equipment. I scored a heavy
Pioneer direct-drive turntable (the exact number escapes me at the moment)
along with a top-end Onkyo cassette deck, and a Technics DAT deck. The DAT
deck worked just fine, the Onkyo was OK but I sent it in for a good
cleaning and alignment, and I bought a nice Ortofon cartridge for the
turntable. All of this was free - we're talking a couple grand worth of
gear when it was new. I also have a pretty spiffy phono preamp with the
RIAA curve, so when I finally get my studio/office/shack cleaned up, I will
begin the long process of digitizing some of my more rare vinyl - the stuff
that will never see an official CD release.

--

Paul Braun WD9GCO
Certified Music Junkie