[OM] dumb question

Subject: [OM] dumb question
From: Bob Benson <bob.benson91@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2015 08:48:39 -0600
What got me started on this question of whether an equal-pixel-count FF
sensor would produce a "better" image than an MFT sensor of the same pixel
count, was Steve Huff's love affair with the new Sony A7 series entry.
http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2014/12/27/the-sony-a7ii-real-world-camera-review-my-camera-of-the-year-2014/

In the process of wandering around various blogs and sites (oh boy, talk
about fun) I ran into a guy who claimed:

"The Nikon D4s offers about 13.3 stops of dynamic range, while the Olympus
OM-D E-M1 offers about 12.7 stops of dynamic range (both at base ISO)"
http://dedpxl.com/crop-or-crap-math-or-moment/

These are both 16 megs or so sensors.

So I really got to wondering.  I of course don't know whether his claim is
correct.  While I probably can agree that, maybe, older sensors can differ
a lot - at least people have claimed that - perhaps now with latest sensors
the "real" gap has narrowed, and there is no discernible difference.  I
realize factors like AA etc. make differences;  my question is, if all
these other factors are comparable, whether any differences still exist.
High ISO does make one area of concern I might understand, but otherwise?

And, more interesting - to me anyway - i am sure you guys on this list will
have the true poop on all this.

Bob

[of course, this would begin to raise the question of when a certain count
of pixels is enough (e.g., if FF offers 24 or 36 megs will this be
"better"?) ... suggesting lens limitations, or perhaps limiting benefits to
lenses actually designed for digital sensors of those sizes.]