Re: [OM] (OT-Not Really) Shopping

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT-Not Really) Shopping
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2015 09:58:39 -0500
Aye. I saw Skull Splitter as I perused the shelves. Good to have a
recommendation. I’ll give it a try when I go for the next round of rations.

They’re still bring in Black Isle Scotch Ale and Oatmeal Stout. I’m waiting to
get some porter, such as I had in Beauly. I recall that one fondly.

The one I’m really looking forward to trying is the Atlantic Scottish Ale,
brewed with the old Macfooshie clan recipe. <g> It’s brewed up in Bar Harbor,
and uses heather in the recipe. Will compare with Fraoch.

The description:

SCOTTISH ALE

Scotland’s rugged soils are not conducive to the cultivation of hops that grow
readily in England, so during times of political strife Scotlandï’s southern
neighbor would deprive Scottish brewers of their hops. The resourceful Scot
turned to his native heather as a flavoring for his ales. Heather grows wild in
the rockbound highlands and when added to the beer yields a silky aromatic
result. Our Scottish Ale is brewed with a large amount of both malted barley
and heather producing a rich-bodied ale with a sweet finish true to the style.

Brewed Since: 1997
yeast: Nottingham
Hops: Wye Golding, Pilgrim
Malts: Pale, Crystal, Peated Pearle