Re: [OM] blue gold or whatever

Subject: Re: [OM] blue gold or whatever
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2015 14:56:08 -0600
Carburetor Eating Dead Horse Moose wrote:
> I am currently reading a literary novel. It's written by a youngish person
> with a PhD. from Baylor in English Literature who has been teaching that
> subject for a few years at a mid level University. Allowing for the
> occasionally excessive use of allusion and metaphor, oddly overdone
> descriptions and so on typical of the genre, it's a pretty well written
> book.

Nothing quite grinds my goat into white gift-mouthed elephants like
over-reaching prose. You see it in high-brow forms of poetry. There is
this thing where it isn't taken seriously unless you have forty words
in a row with no less than 18 syllables per word.

> The protagonist is a young woman who has a 1971 Chevrolet Chevelle 350,
> which she works on herself. The errors of fact about the engine and her work
> on it are amusing.

I like reading criminal, spy and aviation related novels.
Unfortunately, the extensive technical errors can be so aggregious as
to render the book unreadable. This is particularily true with
anything involving outer space. But once Hollywood gets ahold of even
a marginal story, all facts and physics get completely thrown out the
window--especially if the "King of Metaphors' is directing the thing.

As to the 1971 Chevelle having a 350, that was an option. I'm sure you
are referring to the writer's talking about fuel-injection and hood
scoops.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx