Re: [OM] IMG: Havana Skyline

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Havana Skyline
From: Tina Manley <tmanley@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2015 17:00:39 -0500
I think I'm asking this laptop to do too much.  I'm always getting messages
that memory is running low and I need to close programs.  I have a scanner
running all the time and Photoshop and Lightroom are always on and working
on something.  I have 18 external hard drives hooked up, including a
Drobo.  My Task Manager says that for Physical Memory, I have Total 8156,
Cached 177, Available 174, Free 1.  The memory bar is at the top of the
graph.  I have programs that scan for viruses regularly and turn the
computer off and back on every day - otherwise it really hangs up.

Besides, I want a new computer ;-)
I deserve a new computer.
A new computer would make my life so much better.
I could finish all of these Cuba photos in half the time with a new
computer.
Tom just got a new computer last month.

Thanks,

Tina

On Tue, Mar 3, 2015 at 4:48 PM, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 3/3/2015 1:06 PM, Tina Manley wrote:
>
>> My computer has slowed down so much, I've had to bring a book down to read
>> while PS works on one photo.  I am going to have to get a new computer
>> before I can finish these photos!!
>>

> If you are not joking, what you need is a competent computer person to
> discover what is slowing it down.
>
> A computer doesn't just slow down because it gets old, or lazy. There is a
> reason, which may be discovered and corrected
>
> A computer most commonly slows down because:
>
> 1. You are using a new app or OS that requires more memory and/or
> processor power. This is basically the only reason why a new computer might
> be needed to fix new slowness.
>
> 2. The storage medium you are using is nearly full and/or seriously
> fragmented.
>
> 3. There is something running in background that is using too much
> processing power and/or I/O function.
>
> 4. A virus or other malware.
>
> 5. There has been a hardware failure, such as loss of part of memory.
>
> Things to check:
>
> Is LR still running in background, cataloging and making thumbnails? A
> processor and memory intensive background app that uses the disk(s) heavily
> can really slow things down. Shut down PS and use MS Task Manager or a
> third party app to see what's using your processor and memory and how much.
>
> Run whatever malware and virus cleaning products you use.
>
> What is your memory usage? Is the disk where you have PS putting its cache
> nearly full? PS speed depends a lot on available memory. When that is full,
> and for certain functions, it uses a disk cache. Like most huge, complex
> programs that have been updated many times, it has memory 'leaks', memory
> areas that it uses, then stops using, but doesn't properly release to the
> OS, although it seems better now that at times in the past.
>
> Basically, you need to close it once in a while. Even better, use a memory
> clean/reorganizer, such as that which is a part of SystemMechanic, or
> reboot, to get memory right again. I had to do such things quite a bit on
> my old system. Now, with 16 GB of memory and cache on a fairly empty SSD,
> it hasn't been a problem.
>
> If you basically just want a new computer, ignore all the above. A new
> computer 'fixes' whatever was wrong with the old one. :-)
>
> Speedy Moose
> --
> --

Tina Manley