Re: [OM] Spotmeters

Subject: Re: [OM] Spotmeters
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2015 08:47:21 -0500
Hadn’t thought of “as of”. I may be an offender. When I use it, which is
rarely, it’s mostly a time thing, as in “as of last Thursday, we’d spent only
$45 on gasoline for the week.” I don’t think I’ve heard “as of yet” anywhere,
but I’m not always paying attention. It’s difficult to listen to the daily
brutal assaults on language all around us.

I might be able to overlook the use of ricochet in that sense as a kind bending
of one meaning to illustrate another. Boats certainly don’t ricochet, but the
image of one slamming from one rock to another is rather fanciful. Of course,
if you’ve ever _seen_ a boat hit rocks, you know they don’t do anything that
even approximates a ricochet. They tend to slam and bounce and fall to pieces
as they either sink or get flung up on the shore. Depending on the size of the
boat, it seems a slow-motion event. Okay, I change my mind. Silly writer! Boats
don’t ricochet, even when driven by poetic license.

But “lying supine” is beyond the pale. At least they didn’t say “laying
supine.” Give thanks for small favors. <g>

--Bob Whitmire
Certified Neanderthal