Re: [OM] Spotmeters

Subject: Re: [OM] Spotmeters
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2015 09:04:57 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>>      Which is why I'm going to do the comparison as post-processing TIF
>>files can be done with any graphics software, whereas ORF (Olympus RAW
>>Format) cannot.  The remark about RAW files being unprocessed is right in
>>the E-500 manual on page 180, E-510 manual on pages 45 and 109, and in
>>the E-520 manual on page 135.
>
>Yes, ORF is an Olympus Raw Format file but TIF is not a raw file
>format, it is a graphics file that has been processed from the raw
>output of the sensor, where as the ORF file (is in a generalised
>manner), a screen capture of the actual sensor output with no
>processing applied.

     I'm going to again disagree here.  In the E-500, an ORF file is 13.6M,
whereas a TIFF file is 24M.  Since the sensor itself has approximately 8MP and
3 bytes/pixel (or 1 byte/colour/pixel or 24 bits/pixel), the dead-nuts raw data
from the sensor is  approximately 24M, the same size as the TIFF file.  That
being the case, I'm making a safe assumption that the TIFF format is the
ultimate RAW format (no compression and hopefully no processing), whereas the
ORF file is slightly compressed (but no processing).

     I revisited my B&W experiments from last year and looked at the few ORF
files I had saved.  I exported one as 16-bit TIFF (resulting in a 58M file) and
viewed it in Corel PhotoPaint and DxO FilmPack.  The resolution was nice and
crisp, but I would like to be able to bypass the ORF-to-TIFF conversion and
record the same image as TIFF.

     This may seem like a lot of work, but I am determined to find some way of
overcoming the problems associated with taking digital B&W photos with glass
Wratten filters.  Yes, I can presently do so by taking the best possible colour
photo and then post-processing with FilterSim and DxO Filmpack, but I would
really like to return to the hard-won expertise of taking good filtered N&W
photos in the field.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson