[OM] E-M5 II HD IQ [was Olympus Viewer 3 for E-M5 Mark II]

Subject: [OM] E-M5 II HD IQ [was Olympus Viewer 3 for E-M5 Mark II]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2015 21:26:40 -0800
FM writes: Caveat no. 29: 29. [Olympus Viewer 3] does not have the capability
of processing High Res Shot raw files.

I've downloaded the Oly plug-in for ACR. It's very simple, sort of like ACR was, way back when. :-) But, hey, it works! Giving an enormous output file to work on. (Oh so glad for those 16 GB of RAM.)

So ... To my previous comparison of the Fuji X-T1 to the E-M1 and D750, I've added the D800, E-M5 II HD and the same HD file down sampled to match the D800.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/X-T1_E-M1_D750/FON.htm>
Yeah, well, it got a little out of hand on size, once I brought in the E-M5 II HD image.But there are some interesting comparisons in the mess.

The E-M5 II and the E-M1 are an odd couple. As ACR doesn't yet recognize the M5 II for conventional shots, I used Viewer 3. Comparing the straight output to the M1, they seem essentially identical. Yet the M5 II image may then be processed normally to bring out all the resolution and tonal details. When I start that process with the M1, I immediately start to get intrusive artifacts with deconvolution tat don't happen with the M5 II. M1 processed in ACR starts out less attractive, but ends up better than the V3.

The D800 certainly ups the resolution ante over the D750, but at a great price in moiré. This particular subject seems to bring out the worst moiré. Many other parts of the test subject show little or none. The fascinating comparison to me is to the E-M5 II in HD mode. The D800 clearly is capable of resolving slightly finer detail than the M5 II, but wherever there are patterns in the drawing, moiré rears its ugly head.

The color artifacts are what first grab attention, but the effects are much greater than that. Look at the cheeks of the women on the right, where simple crosshatching turns into tiger stripes. While I originally thought the sort of diagonal pattern in the apron on the left with the D750 was better resolved detail than the X-T1 and E-M1, it now appears to be moiré, too, and also in the D800 image. Pay attention, and it's everywhere. Were there is the occasional individual fine line, as in eyes and mouths, the D800 clearly out resolves the E-M5 II in rendering a slightly finer, clearer line. But the price is too high for some kinds of subjects.

This confirms the advantage of the E-M5 II over the D800 in repeating patterns, such as the fabric comparisons in the IR review.

All this is, of course, only one small subject, at one ISO, 200, so it's far from the whole story, but interesting. And yes, the processed versions emphasize detail, perhaps beyond what anyone would want but for printing on a softish paper. But that's what I was evaluating.

Spotted below statement in one review:

"... Olympus will be releasing an Adobe CS RAW plug-in and updated Olympus Viewer 3
software at around the same time the camera starts shipping, later this month."

... Perhaps the next update  for Adobe  CS/ CC or Viewer will do it.

I have both now, and for the moment, it's V3 for normal resolution and ACR with plug-in for HD. For now, the twain don't meet.

Vats da rush, Mike

Da rush is the HD ORF samples out there on the web, and a chance to start to understand how the files work in post before I have my own.

Oly sent an email saying now shipping, Amazon says released the 28th. and B&H
still 'expects availability' on the 27th.

Anticipatory Moose