Re: [OM] techno toys for photographers

Subject: Re: [OM] techno toys for photographers
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2015 13:56:16 -0800
On 2/9/2015 1:25 PM, John Hudson wrote:
In times past I have carried a notepad and pen writing down the dates, time and
locations of photos taken.

I am wondering if there are any small [the size of a pack of cigarettes perhaps] GPS friendly devices a photographer could carry to record the dates and time of his / her images along with the decimal latitude and longitude co-ordinates of each image.

Does anyone have any experience of such a device and can offer an opinion ?

I've been doing this for years. I started with an i-gotU GT120, a tiny, simple, inexpensive device which records a GPS track. <http://global.mobileaction.com/product/product_i-gotU_USB.jsp>

One then uses their nice software to geotag the JPEGs by matching camera date/time to track point date/times. If one wishes the Raw files tagged, an app such as the excellent, free, GeoSetter can copy the JPEG Tags to the Raw files.

Because its software only tags JPEGs, you have to shoot JPEG + Raw to use it this way. Alternatively, their software can output standard format GPS track files for input to apps like GeoSetter to do the tagging, which is also easy and works well.

When I got an iPhone, I experimented with a couple of geo tracking apps. For a while, I used both methods in tandem. Eventually, I stopped using the separate device entirely. Although the i-gotU works well once it has a fix, it may be slow to get that initial fix, esp. if it is far from where last used.

The phone always knows where it is, so starts tracking a little to a great deal more quickly. It's practical to start it logging, take a shot (or vice versa) and stop logging as soon as it records a point or two. The i-gotU is much less practical for use that way for just a shot or two.

I was also concerned about battery drain running a logger for long periods. I bought a little, cheap battery recharger, but really haven't needed it. The battery does drain more quickly when logging a track, but not so much as to be a problem in my use. I use GPXMaster and YouNeedAMap apps on my iPhone. If you have a smart phone, that's certainly the way to go.

It's really quite wonderful to have virtually all my images taken away from home tagged. I'm sure all of us have had the experience of looking at some shots and being unable to say where they were taken. I did finally locate one falls in Maine I had images of, but it was a pain. I never would have, without Google Maps.

Where in the World Is Moose