Re: [OM] E-M5 II announced

Subject: Re: [OM] E-M5 II announced
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2015 23:27:36 -0500
Just a couple other things.  I think I mentioned that the Flash sync speed with
EFC is 1/20 sec and "not recommended."  Hmmm, what's with that?

The shutter seems quiet but AG is the list shutter acoustic expert.  Hard to
tell w/o known cam for comparison--very quiet has shown excellent correlation
with reduced shutter shock.
Have not seen much mention of any formal testing though.  Shutter sound is in
one review:

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/olympus-om-d-e-m5-ii-hands-on-review-26883

Also one of the Russian converter writers has has looked at the high res raw
files--not really 8 lower res raw files but preprocessed and appears as a Raw
file for a 64MP Bayer image--perhaps
to make it easier for other converters.  Not at all sure what is going on there
but the raw data is on a "rectangular grid" while the original was on a
"diagonal grid".  Oh, and the hi res files are not compressed at all.

Perhaps Moose has been able to compare absolute IQ to GX-7--perhaps not much
different.

Wonder if Where's Mine Moose will preorder?

Mike

    UTD Moose writes:

    <<Most interesting previously unknown feature is that the sensor-shift
super rez
    mode, while slow, no IBIS, etc., takes more shots than necessary for <<the
rez - in
    order to eliminate Bayer array color, etc. problems by putting a sensor of
each color at
    each pixel location.

    The feature is buried in the menus

To keep those to which it would be a mystery from accidentally turning it on,
then thinking the camera broken? I did that with IBIS, using the 9mm fisheye
with lens FL set to 600 mm. It should probably have an option like the Pannys
on some settings to turn it off when the camera is turned off.

    and Robin Wong was suprised about the fuss.

Not really his kind of feature. I was impressed by his description of use for
Macro (as well as his shots). I had noticed that the 5-axis E-M5 worked better
close in than the 3-axis E-PM2.

It's all early days, and not all those writing have the same interests or all
the info correct. Robin says "Even the slightest movement can render the image
out of focus (movement towards and away from the subject, which is not part of
the 5-Axis IS). Hence the stabilized view allowed me to judge the focusing much
more accurately."

Yet, the diagrams of the IBIS disagree, showing Z axis correction.
<http://www.ephotozine.com/article/olympus-om-d-e-m5-ii-hands-on-review-26883>

    Given how long it takes to take all 8 shots, anything moving in a breeze or
    moving wataer  may be riddled with artifacts--same limitations as HDR
though.
    Oly appears to use nearest neighbor deconvolution in the processing. The
    luminace resolution should about equal the D810 and the chrominance
exceed
    it. Suspect the results to average about the very best photoacute could
achieve
    in the best case scenario.

    Pretty impressive at Imaging resource:

    http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/olympus-e-m5-ii/olympus-e-m5-iiA.HTM

Continuing the above theme, IR is wowed by the color and moiré advantages over
the D810 and get as good or better resolution in complex, colored subjects.
Dpreview are excited about the color potential, but don't find it nearly as
competitive with the D810 in rez.

    Generates a 64MP ORF--not much processes it yet but quite cool.

Interesting. Will it improve significantly on the JPEGs? If so, it could knock
some socks off.

    Perhaps they could do a 4 shot true color mode.
    Kinda the benefits of foveon without the downsides--recall it had huge
    metamerism failure.

It this pans out the way it looks to at IR, I could see some product
photographers moving over. I wonder, though, if a four shot mode would have the
same reduction of moiré, which is a big deal for some product photography.

    I read one source said  the high rez mode lost a bit of dynamic range ( DR)
    --not sure if correct but would make sense if it uses the total electonic
    shutter.

IR notes the improved ISO 1600 deep shadow noise in HR mode, almost as good as
the D810. So it may be that noise reduction from the multi sampling will make
that a non issue. If one may shoot 'darker', to preserve highlights, then pull
up low noise shadows, the effective DR might be as good or better, just
different to shoot and process.

    Recall the GM-1 did  above 1/500 uses the total electronic shutter and
reverted
    to 10 bit raw and lost more than a full stop of DR.  It could clear the
data in
    1/25 instead of 1/15 or so,  but at a cost. The lost 2 bits didn't matter
that
    much but something about the ADC noise with the higher data rate that I
didn't
    follow.

In practice, I've not seen a problem. But then, I shoot with negative EV almost
all the time, and tend to bracket when highlight clipping seems like a risk.

    Even the already excellent IBIS is said to be even a tad better.

Robin liked it a LOT, seems to have put it to more of a test than others I've
read so far and can compare directly to E-M5 and E-M1.

    Hard to keep all the iterations from Oly straight, but this is interesting.

Seems fairly straightforward to me; they keep working on it, and have managed
improvements with each major new body.

Where's Mine Moose