Re: [OM] E-M5 II announced

Subject: Re: [OM] E-M5 II announced
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2015 17:11:37 -0800
UTD Moose writes:

<<Most interesting previously unknown feature is that the sensor-shift super rez
mode, while slow, no IBIS, etc., takes more shots than necessary for <<the rez - in
order to eliminate Bayer array color, etc. problems by putting a sensor of each color at
each pixel location.

The feature is buried in the menus

To keep those to which it would be a mystery from accidentally turning it on, then thinking the camera broken? I did that with IBIS, using the 9mm fisheye with lens FL set to 600 mm. It should probably have an option like the Pannys on some settings to turn it off when the camera is turned off.

and Robin Wong was suprised about the fuss.

Not really his kind of feature. I was impressed by his description of use for Macro (as well as his shots). I had noticed that the 5-axis E-M5 worked better close in than the 3-axis E-PM2.

It's all early days, and not all those writing have the same interests or all the info correct. Robin says "Even the slightest movement can render the image out of focus (movement towards and away from the subject, which is not part of the 5-Axis IS). Hence the stabilized view allowed me to judge the focusing much more accurately."

Yet, the diagrams of the IBIS disagree, showing Z axis correction. <http://www.ephotozine.com/article/olympus-om-d-e-m5-ii-hands-on-review-26883>

Given how long it takes to take all 8 shots, anything moving in a breeze or
moving wataer  may be riddled with artifacts--same limitations as HDR though.
Oly appears to use nearest neighbor deconvolution in the processing. The
luminace resolution should about equal the D810 and the chrominance   exceed
it. Suspect the results to average about the very best photoacute could achieve
in the best case scenario.

Pretty impressive at Imaging resource:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/olympus-e-m5-ii/olympus-e-m5-iiA.HTM

Continuing the above theme, IR is wowed by the color and moiré advantages over the D810 and get as good or better resolution in complex, colored subjects. Dpreview are excited about the color potential, but don't find it nearly as competitive with the D810 in rez.

Generates a 64MP ORF--not much processes it yet but quite cool.

Interesting. Will it improve significantly on the JPEGs? If so, it could knock
some socks off.

Perhaps they could do a 4 shot true color mode.
Kinda the benefits of foveon without the downsides--recall it had huge
metamerism failure.

It this pans out the way it looks to at IR, I could see some product photographers moving over. I wonder, though, if a four shot mode would have the same reduction of moiré, which is a big deal for some product photography.

I read one source said  the high rez mode lost a bit of dynamic range ( DR)
--not sure if correct but would make sense if it uses the total electonic
shutter.

IR notes the improved ISO 1600 deep shadow noise in HR mode, almost as good as the D810. So it may be that noise reduction from the multi sampling will make that a non issue. If one may shoot 'darker', to preserve highlights, then pull up low noise shadows, the effective DR might be as good or better, just different to shoot and process.

Recall the GM-1 did  above 1/500 uses the total electronic shutter and reverted
to 10 bit raw and lost more than a full stop of DR.  It could clear the data in
1/25 instead of 1/15 or so,  but at a cost. The lost 2 bits didn't matter that
much but something about the ADC noise with the higher data rate that I didn't
follow.

In practice, I've not seen a problem. But then, I shoot with negative EV almost all the time, and tend to bracket when highlight clipping seems like a risk.

Even the already excellent IBIS is said to be even a tad better.

Robin liked it a LOT, seems to have put it to more of a test than others I've read so far and can compare directly to E-M5 and E-M1.

Hard to keep all the iterations from Oly straight, but this is interesting.

Seems fairly straightforward to me; they keep working on it, and have managed
improvements with each major new body.

Where's Mine Moose