Re: [OM] OT 16 bit Windoze [was OT: Batch Files]

Subject: Re: [OM] OT 16 bit Windoze [was OT: Batch Files]
From: "Ian Manners" <void@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2015 11:47:27 +0800 (WST)
Hi Chris,

Windows Powershell is available for WindowsXP
and above, it puts back a lot of things, and add's many
extras for batch and command line processing.

<http://www.microsoft.com/powershell>
and
<https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd835506%28VS.85%29.aspx>

I note this gives you various "start" type commands
under Windows XP or 7, and using the /c switch will
'detach' a process to run in its own window which
can be minimised, then hand control back to the
calling file to run the next program you wish to launch.

Running "start powershell" from cmd.exe should start a
new console with your default settings, you can
pass parameters on the command line if required.

The above link also includes another link to a
repository of sample Windows PowerShell scripts
written by MVPs, IT pros, Microsoft employees,
and others.

Starting up XP in a VPC under OS/2, it was a simple
task to install PowerShell starting from
<https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff458115%28v=vs.85%29.aspx>

Then I simply searched on the Microsoft site for

"PowerShell Start Process detached" and got :-

<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/185575/powershell-equivalent-of-bash-amper
sand-for-forking-running-background-proce>

<QUOTE>
As long as the command is an executable or a file that has an associated
executable, use Start-Process (available from v2):

Start-Process -NoNewWindow ping google.com

You can also add this as a function in your profile:
  function bg() {Start-Process -NoNewWindow @args}

and then the invocation becomes:
  bg ping google.com
</QUOTE>

Microsoft appear to have made everything very complicated
to do such a simply process that is still readily available
under other operating systems (AIX and OS/2 I simply
use the Detach command with parameters if required).

So if you want to try something other than AutoIt3 and
get your hands dirty, probably with much teeth nashing,
try PowerShell from Microsoft :)

Search is your friend.

Cheers
Ian Manners