[OM] Dr. Flash goes modern... upgrades to 1987 technology

Subject: [OM] Dr. Flash goes modern... upgrades to 1987 technology
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2015 09:32:33 -0500
No, it's not the Oly F280 but another flash unit that knows how to do high speed sync. Metz flash units have a substantial rebate until Jan 31. There's a $60 rebate on the 52 AF-1 for m.4/3 cameras. I wish this flash also had auto mode but that's the 64 AF-1 and 50% more money. Hard to justify adding that for something the T-32 already does quite well.

The inflated guide number of 52 meters is as measured at 105mm full frame angle of view. Oly claims 32 meters for the T-32 at 24mm angle of view. IMHO that's inflated too... 32 meters at maybe 28mm would be a better guess. The 52 AF-1 claim is for 32 meters at 35mm. My guess is that the 52 AF-1 is probably slightly less powerful than the T-32 but today's high ISO capabilities more than neutralize that. Anyhow I hope fill flash in bright light will become much easier.

<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/895940-REG/Metz_me52af1o_52_AF_1_Digital_Flash.html>

ps: The flash is sold for m.4/3 cameras but all the specs about zoom range and coverage are still given in 35mm terms. I do hope it knows how to translate focal lengths. But I just noticed that is has some sort of (poorly described) sensor format "zoom size" adjustment.

Dr. Flash