[OM] VF-3 viewfinder report

Subject: [OM] VF-3 viewfinder report
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2015 13:44:15 -0800
Just after Christmas, I was going to an evening music and meditation event. As usual, I had my little GM1 with me and, unthinkingly, tossed the 20/1.7 and 45/1.7 in my bag.

Also without paying attention to my photographer's tech brain, I put the 45 on for a few shots and the 20 for one. so of course, I got some camera motion blurred shots! :-( Oh well, nothing important.

Photography, like so much in life, is about compromises to work around limitations. Unconsciously, I made a poor one that night. But it got me thinking about what kit to carry for such a time and place. The obvious immediate answer was the Pen E-PM2. Not THAT much larger, and the IBIS would have nicely got the shots.

But then, I was thinking what to take on our vacation in Mexico. It wasn't intended to be a photographic expedition (although it turned out to be, in an unexpected direction) so I didn't want to carry everything. The E-PM2 has an E-M5 sensor, acted for some time as my second body, and would cover casual night shots. It's also a nice camera for shots out the airplane windows. But I knew it would also be very bright in the day and the lack of viewfinder makes that less pleasant.

So I noodled around a bit with specs and reviews, found and bought a VF-3 used for $89. The VF-4 is undoubtedly better, but also three times that price, for a secondary role. As Chuck noted about his new E-M1, some of us don't immediately notice such differences without making a specific comparison.

So, how did it work? Very easy to slip on and latches firmly in place. Seamlessly takes on its role. Requires pressing a button to switch between it and the LCD, while the OMD bodies and the VF-4 auto switch. OTOH, that's also a flaw/feature of the Panny ZS40 I used so much on this trip, so I was rather used to it soon. Slightly odd/awkward looking/seeming as this appendage sticking up from the camera body. But it didn't get in my way, even being put into and out of a bag on the floor of an airplane in a coach seat many times.

It does tilt from horizontal to vertical, but I didn't have occasion to use that in practice. Same little velvet case as the clip on flashes; can be firmly affixed to straps and keeps the camera and VF protective covers safe while it's in use.

What did I see? It shows everything I need, 100% framing accuracy, works well in any light. The color is poor, perhaps even worse on red/orange/yellow than the E-M5 VF. Fall colors, sunsets, etc. will look blah through it, but it doesn't, of course, affect what the camera captures. Resolution is almost the same as the E-M5, plenty for my needs.

How did it work for me? About the only use the PM2 got was on planes, with 14-150. Not much of note to see on the way down, and I hadn't put the VF in my under the seat bag. On the return flight to LAX, I was glued to the window for a long time by a spectacular sunset, and had the VF. I could have done the shooting without it, but it was a big help. With the sun horizontal, at right angles to the window, there were lots and lots of reflections, and the VF made it easier to find angles that both caught the subject and minimized reflections.

On balance, worthwhile for what I have used it for so far. It will stay in the
bag(s).

Viewable Moose