Re: [OM] IMGs: Last Weekends Cycling Trip

Subject: Re: [OM] IMGs: Last Weekends Cycling Trip
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2015 19:47:22 -0800
On 1/19/2015 6:13 PM, Chris Trask wrote:
      Of course!  I would love to have an Oxford English spell checker.  I keep getting error
underlining when I use "realise" instead of "realize".  Another example of
Microsoft forcing American culture down our throats.

HUH??? Microsoft? Really?

I ingested American culture with air, water and food as a child. If I varied, as when in boredom I spelled 'compleat'* on a spelling test, I was quickly kicked back into line. Reference to the dictionary was no help.

MS has been and may be guilty of many things. Defining American spelling usage is not one of them. They simply provide a reference to it.

You remind me of a piece I recently enjoyed in the novel Station Eleven:

'“Ah,” Tesch says. “Very admirable of you. You know, it reminds me of a documentary I saw last month, a little Czech film about an outsider artist who refused to show her work during her lifetime. She lived in/Pra/ha, and—”

“Oh,” Clark says, “I believe when you’re speaking English, you’re allowed to refer to
it as Prague.”

Tesch appears to have lost the power of speech.'

Insisting on British usage in everyday communication in the US strikes me as
equally pretentious.

Non Pretending Moose

* Yes, the Thunderbird spell chucker suggested alternatives, including the correct spelling for contemporary US English. :-)