Re: [OM] OT: Charlie Hebdo

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Charlie Hebdo
From: David Thatcher <davidt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2015 23:34:49 +1030
On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 02:08:59AM +0100, Dharma Singh wrote:
> It wasn't an attachment, but a jpg inside the message, as I do on another
> list, which doesn't permit attachments.
> It's no problem there, so I thought it could here as well, but apparently
> that's not a solution either.

Basically, every single part of an e-mail is 'an attachment', even the
plaintext part. The above e-mail reports as a : "text/plain, base64,
utf-8" attachment.

Including something (even) inline still results in an encoding as some
sort of attachment and the resulting vulnerability as a
virus/trojan/worm infection vector! All really good mailing list servers
block this - I would expect that 80+% of listees would post with both
plaintext and html versions inline. The server strips this down to
plaintext only (and the computer geek in me appreciates this!!!).

davidt