Re: [OM] E-500/510/520 TIFF Raw Format

Subject: Re: [OM] E-500/510/520 TIFF Raw Format
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2015 15:51:27 -0500
Unfortunately, the TIFF format you see listed there is not a raw file. It's nothing but an ordinary TIFF file holding 24 bits/pixel image data. There's no more data there than in a JPEG except for the compression. The Olympus format allows you to control the compression ratio on JPEGs so you could likely do as well using a low compression ratio JPEG and at much less space.

Bite the bullet and use raw with post processing for the best results. The raw format says that it's not compressed but it has to have some sort of compression to fit into the 13.6 MB raw file. I wouldn't worry about the proprietary format. There are many pieces of software (free and not free) that know that format. If you can get along with the Oly software interface it will do a good job on conversion.

Chuck Norcutt