Re: [OM] need router help

Subject: Re: [OM] need router help
From: Mike Lazzari <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2015 14:19:27 -0800
Thanks for the responses.

See inline comments:
Most modern ?modems?, whether DSL or cable, are a combo modem/router, and a few
details you?re provided do confirm that?s what you have. From what you?re
saying you were using some of its router functions previously with the DI-624
(for example, NAT), which makes me wonder what you were using the DI-624 to do;
the two possibilities are to provide extra Ethernet ports (i.e., acting as a
small switch) and to be a wireless access point.
Yes, my modem is a router. But with, to be technical, one "inny" and only one RJ45 "outy". So the DI624 acted as a switch and wireless access point. It was connected to the modem via its WAN port and my ISP at the time helped me set it up. Unfortunately I can't find a backup of the conf file for it. I do have the original conf file for the modem if that would help.
So I?ll presume that the ?modem" should continue to be your router (configured
with PPPoE username and password to get your Internet connection, and providing NAT
and DHCP), and the WRT150N is just a switch / wireless access point. Most Linksys
firmware is pretty similar, so configure the WRT150N as follows (assuming LAN subnet
is 192.168.2.x and modem/router is 192.168.2.1, adjust as necessary):
First thing I did was switch the WRT150N to IP 192.168.2.1 so as not to conflict with the modem on 192.168.1.1How do I check the LAN subnet? Is this through Control Panel >>Local Area Connections?? (Win7pro-x64)
* Setup / Basic Setup
Internet Setup [basically irrelevant, you won't be using the WAN side]
- Internet Connection Type: Static IP
- Internet IP Address: 192.168.3.2
- Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
- Default Gateway: 192.168.3.1
   Network Setup
- Router Address: 192.168.2.2
- Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
- DHCP Server: Disabled
- Time Settings: optional, normally irrelevant
Screen shot of the WRT150N basic setup page:
<http://www.interisland.net/watershed/mike/computer/setup-screen2.pdf>

FWIW this broke the internet connection>
* Wireless / Basic Wireless Settings [as present in the WRT150N]
- Network Mode: Mixed
- SSID: your wireless network name
- SSID Broadcast: your choice, normally Enabled
Yes, did that. The WRT150N is working fine as an access point but the double NAT is messing things up with the LAN.
* Wireless / Wireless Security
- Security Mode: WPA2 Personal [some older PCs don?t support WPA2, if so then
just WPA Personal]; with AES if an available option
- Passphrase: your wireless password
Security? I'm from the You-S-A. Us country folk use double-barrel security. ;)
You cable one of the WRT150N?s*LAN*  ports (not the WAN port) to the modem, and
you have the other three available LAN ports on the WRT150N and its wireless as
your LAN. If you wonder why you're connecting to the LAN side, not the WAN side:
WAN->LAN does NAT, which is already done in your modem, you don't want/need a
second level of NAT.
I'd rather use the WAN port same as the DI624 did and free up all four LAN ports and not have to buy a switch. How did the DI624 manage to do it before? Maybe that's a "bridge" which I don't understand.
If I?ve misunderstood anything, let me know and I can revise my advice. Also,
I?m curious about the make/model of your DSL modem.
Zoom ADSL X4
**Model* *5751* -* External ADSL Modem/Router/Gateway/Firewall with Ethernet & USB Interfaces
Michael

P.S. I have DSL at home, with two separate routers of my own. Most combo
modem/router devices can operate in one or both (simultaneously) of two modes:
- router, providing NAT, DHCP, etc. as you seem to be doing
Yes.
- bridge, providing a direct PPPoE ?interface? for your router to connect via
PPPoE
My DSL modem (Bell [Canada] Internet, previously a 2Wire 2701, now upgraded to
a Sagemcom 2864 for 15/10Mb service) operates in both/hybrid mode, but I ignore
the router side and just connect multiple PPPoE-configured routers to it
(Bell's service will deliver multiple PPPoE connections/IP addresses using the
same username/password, I?ve had up to five for testing routers but only use
two now - one is my personal home network, the other my home office network).
I don't understand the "bridge" function. Does that mean that I can bridge the modem, bypassing its router functions and use the WRT150N to do the NAT, etc.?

Mike
(please CC to my email address as I'm a digester and won't get any messages until tomorrow.)