Re: [OM] Wave Slamming into breakwall

Subject: Re: [OM] Wave Slamming into breakwall
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2015 13:20:48 -0600
> There's a lot to like in it. My real objection is the bright
> sharpening/LCE/whatever halos. They are all around the white/gray edges. The
> lower triangles of sky on the sides of the top are wildly lighter than the
> surrounding skies, and thus very unnatural looking.

Agreed. At this point, the photo is a working concept. I'm not sure
where I'll end up with it. But the halo stuff will go away.

> So, I need to avoid selling anything photographic, or they will come take
> away my beloved small, light stuff? :-(

To each his/her own. What I'm talking about is when you are shooting a
wedding or sports or whatever and maybe you are wearing gloves. Oh,
yes, talk about gloves. I had two pairs of gloves on and was still
able to fully operate the E-3. Getting to the exposure compensation
button was a little edgy, though.

> Different strokes for different hands, arms, fingers, etc. If you had an
> E-M1, and an M.Z. 75-300, you wouldn't have the balance problem.

Nice kit. Yes, but it would also involve a level of financial
commitment that I'm not in any condition to do. My priorities are
elsewhere.

> "blown around by strong winds and it is very cold" Yeah, sounds lovely ...
> Remember, around here, anything below about 53 is cold, and anything down
> near freezing is unbearably arctic.  :-)   It's sunny and calm out right
> now, but 45°, Brrrrrrr.

Not everybody can live in paradise.

> When are the times with good weather and minimal bugs?  I've seen the
> lakeshore from ~40,000 ft. Flights to Boston often cross Lake Michigan about
> half way up. :-)

September and October are probably the best. July and August are the
best months for being on/in the water. January and February and winter
sports months. March is when everybody goes to Florida.

June is typically pretty insane for bugs, but the forests are
off-limits for human occupancy after dark anytime in the summer. It
starts out as a low hum, and within an hour after sunset it has
climaxed to what sounds like an airport full of Garrett-powered
turboprop aircraft. You'll lose a pint of blood before you can escape.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx