Re: [OM] Walking the Dog

Subject: Re: [OM] Walking the Dog
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2014 09:53:38 -0800
On 12/29/2014 5:40 PM, Mike Lazzari wrote:
This evening:

<http://www.interisland.net/watershed/mike/WalkDogs/Dec14/MtYoung_011.JPG>

Lovely.

Seems easier to make this 14-150 flare.

If this is an example, it's sure not bad. If one wants to even out the exposure side to side, a layer with lower brightness may be put above the base, a diagonal, partial gradient applied to a mask on the upper layer,then paint mask to taste. Yeah, I know, that's PS talk, and easy there, not LR or whatever. <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Mike/MtYoung.htm>

I left the warmish tone on the left, as appropriate to the approaching sunset
light. That would be easy to change.

I also seem to be shooting hard up against the stop at the 14mm end.

Yes, I do remember often wishing for a little more width.   But then, that also
happens with the 12-50, but not as much.

Probably the 9-18 will be the one on the camera most of the time

Wouldn't work for me.

until my perfect 10~65 comes out ;)

Yeah, yeah! When's that? Where do I pre-order?

Kinda annoying how slavish lens designers (or their bosses) seem to be. Canon's big gun after the kit lenses for FF is 24-105, so many smaller format lenses have the same FoVs. 28-200 was a common superzoom back in film days, then 28-300, mostly led by Tamron, so Oly makes a 4/3 equivalent.

Interestingly, my two latest casual/special purpose cameras go fairly wide. The waterproof, and generally tough guy, Oly TG-850 goes to 21 mm eq., although the long end is a little short at 105. The Panny ZS40 is 24-720, not quite as wide, but probably long enough. ;-) Neither is suitable for this kind of landscape, though. Well, the ZS40 would come pretty close, as long as display doesn't get any larger.

Which Lens Moose