Re: [OM] IMG: Anya

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Anya
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2014 08:21:45 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>She supplied her own fill light. This picture practically begged me to
>be in B&W.
><https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563@N04/15937881767/in/photostream/lightbox/>
>Leica M8 and 35/1.4 Summilux ASPH, wide open.
>
>Enjoy!

     Perfect subject for B&W.  The "fill flash" from the 'phone probably would
not have been as distinctive in colour.

     Along those lines, I've been enamoured with the two "Sin City" movies.
They have gone far beyond the simple black ink on white (meaning no shading) of
Frank Miller's graphic novels and have taken the art of B&W cinematography to
an extreme.  You have to go deeply into the genre of Film Noire to find
anything even remotely close to what they have done with light and shading.
Plus they retained the occasional red overtone highlighting.

     The same cannot be said of the Hellboy movies.  They took the dark/serious
monochrome (B&W with shading) graphic novels and turned them into technicolour
adventure comedies.

     My favourite Sin City character is Miho, the Ninja whore, though she may
not necessarily be a whore.  I like to think of her as the Ninja-matic as she
slices and dices.

     I have a copy of the third Sin City graphic novel, which should make an
equally decent flick.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson