Re: [OM] One of those Facebook challenge things.

Subject: Re: [OM] One of those Facebook challenge things.
From: Ian Nichols <ian.a.nichols@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2014 10:45:09 +0000
On 15 December 2014 at 20:49, <ozlangur@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Ian, I really like all of them. I'm curious as to what "shim 69" is as it
> certainly sound like googling it would turn up some pretty gender-ambiguous
> sexiness, but its sexiness as a photo stands without my oo-er Carry On
> Monochrome visualising.

That name is a dreadful pun on the name of a British punk band from the
70's, Sham 69.  I'm not sure that "shim" is actually the correct name for
the pieces - they used to sit between the two platters of a hard drive. I'm
not sure what for as you certainly wouldn't want them to come into contact
with the platters whether spinning or not.

My favourite is the cloudbusting building though. I know you've only done a
> "quick and dirty" on it and so I guess the bit of distortion (?) in the
> bottom right will be fixed later. But that niggling aside, it looks as fine
> an architectural image as I'd want on a wall.

I think the distortion you refer to is perspective distortion, resulting
from my viewpoint from a room in the building opposite, not much scope for
moving about as other rooms to my left on that level have bits of equipment
in front of most of the windows.  It might be worth trying to correct it
later, but for the purpose of the exercise I didn't want to spend a lot of
time on it.

Glad you like them.

Ian
--
Stand firm for what you believe in, until and unless logic and experience
prove you wrong.  Remember: when the emperor looks naked, the emperor *is*

-Daria Morgendorffer