Re: [OM] ***SPAM*** Re: Simple lens designs like Tessar on Digital camer

Subject: Re: [OM] ***SPAM*** Re: Simple lens designs like Tessar on Digital cameras.
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2014 15:48:06 -0600
> Nice, I'd forgotten that one.

Thank you. That's a picture I've been trying to get a good print from
for a long time. Frustrating.

> Then there's the flip side to that creative potential, the only doughnut
> bokeh I recall getting without a mirror in the lens.

The 50/1.8 seems to be more donut-prone than the 50/1.4, but just
barely. The 50/3.5 is a wierd beast because it sometimes produced
beautiful bokeh, and sometimes you just want to toss it over the
balcony railing.

Where the 50/1.4 REALLY shines in the bokeh department is when it is
used as a macro or near macro lens. Crank that puppy right down to the
minimum focus distance and the magic happens.

The other thing I go all weak-kneed over is the stars. I love what it
does to distant street lights. No cheese-ball star filter gives
perfect stuff like that.

AG