Re: [OM] And now a Lightroom question

Subject: Re: [OM] And now a Lightroom question
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2014 22:49:02 -0800
On 12/1/2014 10:26 PM, Nathan Wajsman wrote:
I just discovered that my Lightroom 4.4 does not recognise the Fuji XT-1 files. Poking
around Adobe’s sites I see no upgrade that would let me read those files
directly into LR. So I am right now converting to DNG using their converter and will
then import those.

Are my choices really limited to using this clunky 2-step process and upgrading
to LR5, something which I otherwise have no reason to do? (and no, I am not
interested in other RAW converters or in shooting JPG).

From Adobe, in this thread: <https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1544945>

"We (Adobe) actually did work with Fujifilm on the revised X-Trans implementation in ACR / Lr and this shipped in ACR 7.4 and Lr 4.4. [Which would not include the XT-1, as it didn't yet exist.] We also worked with them on the development of the Camera Matching color profiles that shipped for all of the X-Trans Fujifilm camera models (and a few non-X-Trans models as well), starting with ACR 8.4 and Lr 5.4."

There are a lot of examples posted lower down in the thread, attempting to show how Adobe has screwed the conversion pooch. I wouldn't call the case closed.

But you care about using LR directly. It appears that at least one of the folks in the thread, the initiator is using LR directly on his XT-1.

I think all you need is to upgrade LR. Adobe has always done this, including new cameras in ACR/LR for a while, but not forever. Major number upgrades generally end ACR upgrades for new cameras on old versions. You may think this bad of them, as the files are the same format, but Adobe does actually test each new camera to develop their relatively consistent ACR/LR profiles.

LR 5.x does support the XT-1, according to Adobe and others. <http://www.fujirumors.com/available-adobe-camera-raw-8-4-with-x-t1-and-fujis-film-simulation-support/>

Latest Version Moose