Re: [OM] Natural swimming pond was Re: Toilets

Subject: Re: [OM] Natural swimming pond was Re: Toilets
From: SwissPace <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2014 21:23:49 +0100
The idea originated in Austria, the inside area is for swimming with near vertical sides to reduce algae and its over 2m deep, the area around the outside is shallower varying from 1m to 20cm and planted. because its shallow it gets warm and raises the water temperature, the plants act like a big biological filter like in a fish tank.

We never liked the normal swimming pools with chlorine, plus this looks much more natural, it needs some maintenance but its mainly weeding and cutting of plants, we use the pond pump that circulates the water with a long syphon brush for cleaning. It has quite a bit of wildlife that appeared on their own, frogs, newts and dragon flies and in the winter we can skate on it although its not that large.

and its great for a quick dip after work in the summer.

Paul Braun <mailto:pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
20 Nov 2014 18:36
Fascinating. However, I've never seen a pond constructed like that with the
walled structure inside, surrounded by more water and actually under the
surface. Is that because it's sort of a combination swimming pool and pond?
Are there fish in there as well?