Re: [OM] Windows users - y'all had better read this

Subject: Re: [OM] Windows users - y'all had better read this
From: Jim Nichols <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2014 13:14:07 -0600
Thanks for the heads up, Chuck. I installed the latest updates this morning.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA

On 11/12/2014 9:44 AM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
Basic announcement here
<http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-30019976>

Much more detail here <http://krebsonsecurity.com/2014/11/adobe-microsoft-issue-critical-security-fixes-3/#more-28583>

In a nutshell, IBM discovered a serious hole in the Microsoft secure communications protocol that has been there for 18 years and affects Win 95, 98, 2000, XP, etc, etc. It allows complete takeover of your machine without your knowledge. The good news is that there is no indication that anyone has actually exploited this yet. The bad new is that they will (and soon now that it's known) The remaining bad new is that for those older versions noted above there will be no fix updates.

As near as I can tell it really only affects Internet Explorer, some parts of MS Office and the security utility called EMET. If you don't know what EMET is you don't have it since you must very deliberately install it and understand its usage. For users of old versions of Windows you may be able to circumvent the problem by using a different browser. But make your own determination.

Chuck Norcutt