Re: [OM] OT: The Evolving English Language

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: The Evolving English Language
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2014 13:36:52 -0600
On Fri, Nov 7, 2014 at 1:32 PM, Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>      Everyone is probably familiar with the word "premium" as it applies
> to the small toys and games that come with Cracker Jacks and breakfast
> cereals.  This morning on NPR I heard the word "freemium", which applies to
> the subscription-free usage of Word and Excel on newer cell phones.  Did
> Apple coin this word?

Not to the best of my knowledge. It did come about largely due to the
behavior of software developers on the App store, where you can download an
app or game for "free", but with very limited functionality. You need to
buy extra features or lives or candy or cookies or weapons or whatever to
actually progress through the game or really get the full use of the app.
Hence "freemium". It's free to start, but you pay premiums to add chunks.

--

Paul Braun WD9GCO
Certified Music Junkie