Re: [OM] Moving Computer Software

Subject: Re: [OM] Moving Computer Software
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2014 12:53:03 -0800
On 11/6/2014 12:07 PM, Tina Manley wrote:
PESO:

Tom's ancient Gateway laptop is finally giving up the ghost and he's
investing in a new computer.  I remember the last time I upgraded mine I
used a software program to transfer all of the files from the old computer
to the new one.  I can't remember the name of the software.  Can anybody
recommend a program to do this or is there an easier way?

Mostly what Scott said. But I'd add:

5. If both may be attached to the same router, especially if hard wired, at least temporarily, you may copy using Windows Explorer, just like copying between folders on one computer. Speed will be MUCH faster with wired Ethernet connections than using WiFi. But it's fine too;just walk away and wait.

Windoze also has a function to do this, but it doesn't add much.

The good/bad news is that he will need to reinstall the software. Bad because it is a pain. Good because it forces housecleaning and results in a cleaner registry than any utility can create.

Moose e Mobile