Re: [OM] Heads up those of you in Florida !

Subject: Re: [OM] Heads up those of you in Florida !
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2014 16:13:55 -0800
On 11/5/2014 2:10 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
OH, yeah, I do remember voting; but haven't looked at the outcome. Around
here, for National and State offices, it's all Demos who will win, generally
win big, or demos running against each other. Our open primary system pits
the two primary two vote getters against each other in the final election.
So we had a choice of two only slightly differentiable demos for State
legislature this time. Black male and white female, both with fliers sent
touting them by groups with somewhat unsavory donors.
Oh, so it's basically like living in a communist country for you.

Nah. Our local, liberal/progressive politicians are much like politicians everywhere. The mayor and City Council have managed to avoid redistricting twice since the 2010 Census. They like the districts the way they are. The details are obscure, complex and a bit mendacious. For example, to avoid redistricting for this election, while complying with the letter of the City Charter, they passed a redistricting, then sued themselves, spending $140,000 on outside counsel, plus the unaccounted time spent by city attorneys defending.

Their latest ploy failed miserably yesterday. We'll see what happens next. Their efforts to relax/eliminate controls on downtown development also failed.

I quite like my Council Person, for her work in the district, and this district isn't a redistricting issue. But I've not checked how she has voted on the other messes. See no Evil ...

Politics as Usual Moose