Re: [OM] OT: Travels

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Travels
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2014 12:48:57 -0800
On 11/4/2014 7:31 AM, Chris Trask wrote:
Indeed, Chris. He's just had his passport nicked, which might slow down his
latest wacky wheeze: to
row from where he is to Lough Derg, Co Clare— about 4,000km, in his homemade
boat, a curragh.

      Sounds a bit like Steve Orr from "Catch 22".  Thoroughly sane people have
done similar things, such as the fellow who kayaked from Tierra del Fuego (sp?) to
Achorage.  He later showed up in Hawai'i, having kayaked from California with a string of
solar stills trailing behind him.  Quite an adventurer.

That sounds like a fellow I met, a friend of a friend who was living in Costa Rica when I was vacationing there. He showed us his bicycle and laughed about what fools the makers were. They had a lifetime guarantee on the bearings, and had to replace them for free after he wore them out cycling across Tibet and back. (A more prodigious feat than distance alone would suggest, altitude, wind and dust, for starters.)

He had just kayaked up and down one coast of Costa Rica (Pacific?), and was deciding which much longer voyage to take next. A straightforward, normal seeming fellow, with distinctly abnormal life.

Powered Flight Moose