Re: [OM] OT. Spam

Subject: Re: [OM] OT. Spam
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2014 12:46:51 -0700
On 10/29/2014 9:02 AM, Chris Trask wrote:
       I'm not seeing any exceptional amount of spam emails.  Earthlink has a
fairly vigorous spam
filter at the server level also, plus I have the additional spam filter that I
can manage.  What I
am seeing, though, is an increase in the number of emails that have viruses
attached.  Earthlink
quarantines those and sends an email notice.  Earthlink has its problems at
times, but their spam
filtering is above average.

My mail server offers spam filtering but I don't make use of it since
I'd have to log on to the server to check what it's doing.  I prefer to
download the mail and let Thunderbird do the spam filtering.  It was
pretty efficient at doing that until the latest round of very different
spam started arriving.  I probably get 20 or more spam messages/day but
Thunderbird (at the moment) is only catching about 50%.  But it does get
better as it learns about the new crop.

      These server-level filters would be more effective if they were to
examine the headers and filter out specific host servers.

This has been done. The result here in the past has been the occasional unavailability of list posts to those using various ISPs and the blocking of some listees from posting.

Oddly enough, spammers use many of the same host servers as the rest of us.

Let It Filter Moose