Re: [OM] October Marnie Bucket

Subject: Re: [OM] October Marnie Bucket
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 18:56:19 -0400
Appreciate the observation and comment.

I saved the .psd file this time just in case. It was lit from a bank of french doors with relatively flat light. Still the dynamic range suprised me and the shadows in the dark purple dahlia were quite deep and there were specular highlights on the vases and just a tad on the Herend kittie. I wanted to leave room for a scootch of LCE so kept the exposure down and had to adjust Hi/Sh in ACR. I kept it dark and added the LCE and have a levels layer just for the selected items and brightened them ( took forever to do a good job in the selection with all the knooks and crannies). Perhaps just another levels adjustment on the whole thing and let a few highlights go a bit more? They were adjusted rather late in my office with subdued lighting and I have a tendency to do this repeatedly. I did see the histo and showed the image to Marnie. Perhaps I should have my monitor a bit less bright as well. I learned early on from Moose that one should not restrict oneself to adjustments in PS to make things look improved. Leaving room for LCE frequently requires application of this principle even if partially misapplied in this case. I can easily adjust it to recommended level and I see on my monitor (not callibrated though) at work that you are correct. Thanks.
Mike

CN writes:
Nice image but why so dark? Because that's the way the lighting
looked
in the house? Not a criticism. Just curious.

We have not had a killing frost as of yet and the garden has lasted as
far into October as I can remember.
Thought I should add one final bucket to the series for the year.

http://www.olyendomike.com/Flowers/Marnies-Bouquets/18985683_SzVWpL#!i=3644633363&k=2vn4xRK&lb=1&s=L

Mike